Tuesday, January 20, 2009

12/365



This morning we went downtown to the "Old Souq", which is the market. There were some nice things, beautiful pyramids of spices, sweets, and lots of cheap clothing. Someone tried to sell us the FUGLIEST dress ever. I mean, really, really ugly. They also tried to sell us a little Bahrain soccer outfit for Elyas, which I thought was totally cute, but we didn't buy it. The picture is of the kids waiting for some fresh Lassi-like juice at a little shop. We got two juices and two Chai for 1 dinar, which is about $2.60. Amazing prices!

We visited Ali's uncle Hussein in the afternoon: he keeps a horse and two big (and apparently dangerous) rottweilers (fortunatley penned), and a huge pen of parakeets, like 100s of birds, and another of fancy homing pigeons. He was a bit eccentric and odd, but nice. His wife was very kind. I'm finding that in Bahrain, hospitality is very nice. Everywhere you go they give you juice and fruits and sweets.

No comments: