Tuesday, September 30, 2008

30 Days, day 19

leilarides2  (30 days day 19)

elyas rides  (30 days day 19)

Last Friday we went down to Kalona, the town with the Amish settlement (not to be confused with Amana, which is not Amish) for the annual Fall Festival. We didn't get to look around as much as we would have liked, but the kids enjoyed climbing up on different tractors, and playing in a big pit of dry corn, and especially ESPECIALLY riding the ponies. To my surprise, Elyas enjoyed it. Funny, the kid who has been afraid of donkeys since he saw a very scary and imposing miniature donkey sleeping on a hill at Remlingers Farms back before we left the NW. He keeps saying he loves horses, and I guess he was serious. I wonder what it is about donkeys that is so scary. The ears? I don't know, but he still talks about how the donkey will "get him" and he's "worried" about the donkey that is "out there" (as he points to the window). But the moment Elyas saw those ponies coming off the trailer he wanted to "look" "go see it" and "ride it", even before they had their saddles on, he knew what they were there for! It's a good thing Gramma scored some "cow boots" (as he calls them) for him in Hawaii (of all places). I'm definitely painting some horses on the walls in their bedroom!

2 comments:

Nan said...

I love these pictures! It is like seeing your kids and I am so grateful! I have been watching your blog several times every day hoping for new pics!

I love you all!

Nanny

Anonymous said...

Those are so cute!! We went on Saturday. Dang...we missed you. My kids didn't want to ride the ponies but they loved the corn pit! Next time you go you have to check out the museums that are they.