Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Camping at Lake Kachess

We had an excellent time. Everything went well despite Leila missing her nap on friday and early morning wakings. the grounds were covered with bushes full of ripe blue huckleberries (I guess most people don't know you can eat them - I would have thought the bushes would be picked clean!). We went to the lake, but didn't swim, it's too cold. It was really high this year - in 05 it was so low the boat launch wasn't able to be used. Last year it was higher, but not much. It was SUPER high this time - the mudflats we hiked across last year were completely underwater by probably 10 feet, maybe more. It was super cold Saturday night and morning (like 45 brrr) and then heated up to the mid 70s, but yesterday was mild weather all around. We had a blast! Leila got bit on the ass by a red ant. You can imagine my surprise when she was saying "what's wrong with my butt?" and I looked to see a little ant in her crack! That'll be a great blackmail story when she's a teen. ;)

We slept all four of us on a blow up queen size mattress, with our bags zipped together and an extra comforter. It was comfortable despite the cold, only my head got cold (I didn't want to pull the blanket up too far because of the baby). I did put a hat on our little hairless guy. :)

Here are some pictures of our adventure!


My lovely morning look after two early wakings. I'm not so much of a morning person. ;)

The boy kept eating dirt when I had him on the ground, but fortunately our tent has a shoe threshold that worked nicely as a mostly dirt-free place to put down Elyas.

Leila is convinced this headlamp is a camera. She even believes it has an LCD, and reviews her photos. :) That's my girl!

My little nursling taking a snack on the beach.

A boy and his baba.



Leila thoroughly enjoyed getting filthy. I'm glad that all I brought was a pail and shovel. No need for gobs of toys when there's dirt to be played in!

Hosing off in the solar-heated sun shower.

Elyas spent more time sitting in Leila's chair than she did. Though, don't you dare put something down in it, or Leila would run over and fling the parcel to the ground. Her chair had to be clear should she decide to sit in it. :) My mom is annoyed with this chair because it is a Disney princess chair and I won't let her buy Leila Disney crap. I admit that I don't care for the princess theme, but the chair was $1 at a garage sale. I had to put aside my non-commercialization ideals for a super deal.

A photo with Uncle Adam. I love this picture, you can just see the relationship between them.

Here is a pail of said blue huckleberries.

Leila traipsing down a forest path during a nature hike.

The Lot of us. And for comparison, Leila in 05 and 06 on the same log.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a fun trip this looks like! I can't believe how big Elyas is getting! Those huckleberries look good. I am one of those people who is never sure about the huckleberry bushes. I need to have someone show me one. I will email soon and fill you in on my crazy summer.