Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Saving money

There's a topic we all like to consider! As we are moving out this week I've been thinking a lot about this subject and what things I can do. I'm devising a plan to just start off on the right foot making good habits. So, I'm going to put some of my ideas down here.

First, the biggie. I'm going to do menu planning and some pre-cooking. I think the menu planning is going to be key to my budgeting. My plan is to write out my menu for the week, and then create my shopping list from the menu. Even down to snacks (with a little wiggle room). I know I will save money if I go into the grocery store with a clear list of what I'm going to buy instead of impulse buying. So my plan is as follows: Tuesdays the sales flyers come out, so Wednesdays check out what's on sale and note it, Thursdays I will plan my menu and write my grocery list, Friday I will go shopping, Saturday I will do some precooking or prep work. I know it will be a lot of work in the beginning as I build my menu and make notes of shopping requirements. I also plan to make large batches of some things and divide them into family portions so they are ready to go when I want them (ie, "dinner's in the freezer"). My idea is to have the menu, but be flexible on what to have each day. Still, I am hoping it saves me from the 5 o'clock kitchen trap in which an already frazzled mother stares into the refridgerator and utters that ever-hated question "what should we have for dinner?". I like the idea of looking at my weekly menu and saying "hmmm, do I feel like fixing X or Y tonight?". I know, it's like parenting a toddler - give them limited choices so they can more easily make up their mind... but hey, if it works for adults, I'm all for it!

I have to admit, I have made up a schedule for myself. A housekeeping schedule. Now, I am not a terribly messy person, but I'm no Martha either. I think the schedule will help me to keep from needing to spend a couple hours cleaning a room every few weeks - this way I can stay on top of it. So, here's my schedule so far, with plans to add things as needed:


Monday

  • · Bread Baking
  • · Wash kitchen floor

Tuesday

  • · Alternate washing bathroom towels and washing bed linens
  • · Sewing and cutting
  • Toddler story time 10:45 am

·

Wednesday

  • · Vacuum and Dust
  • Young Toddler Storytime 10am

Thursday

  • · Menu Planning
  • · Grocery list
  • Toddler Story time 10am

Friday

  • · Grocery Shopping
  • · Clean bathroom
  • parent-tot preschool group in morning

Saturday

  • · Weekly cooking

Sunday



Anyway, that's what I have so far. I also plan to do one load of wash per day (unless not needed) to keep on top of it AND I VOW to put the load away before bedtime each night! I think doing little chores each day will make it more palatable for the kids - not so much time away, but just a little everyday, so they learn daily chores are a part of life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey i thought i'd throw out there that im reading a great book called "feed your family for $12 a day" and am loving it. link off of my "books currently on my nightstand" section on my blog

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting to the March Mommies Blogroll! I love the idea of a "schedule of duties" and I love lists. I'll definately be back to find out more on your philosophy of simple living.